A Call to Action
We know that educating girls is the smartest investment of our time. When girls are educated, communities thrive and economies grow.
Yet over 40% of girls in India are not making it to Class 10, and tremendous opportunities are lost.
Join the Girl Rising movement and become a champion for girls’ education and empowerment. Use your voice and talent to help us create meaningful change. Now is the time.
Here are three things you can do to take action for girls:
Be an Advocate
Look around your community and take action to help tackle the local barriers to girls' education.
Take the pledge:
Commit to taking three actions to help girls rise. From hosting a local discussion to helping a girl with her homework, look around you for ways to help. Large or small, change happens when we act together – and that starts by just doing something.
Take a stand for girls' empowerment:
Girls face barriers to education that boys do not – starting from before they are even born. Strong socio-cultural biases and pervasive daughter discrimination is at the core of many of the barriers that girls face across class, caste and community. Take a stand.
The Government of India’s Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign suggests these 10 things you can do:
- Celebrate the birth of a girl child
- Take pride in daughters and oppose the mentality of “Paraya Dhan”
- Find ways to promote equality between boys and girls
- Secure admission to and retention of girls in school
- Engage men and boys to challenge gender stereotypes and roles
- Report any incidents of sex determination test
- Strive to make neighbourhoods safe and violence free for women and girls
- Oppose dowry and child marriage
- Advocate for simple weddings
- Support women’s right to inherit and own property
Celebrate a local changemaker:
Community-by-community, there are everyday heroes doing amazing things to help girls. We need to celebrate them because what they do is important, and also because more people need to be inspired by these role models. Here are ways you can celebrate these champions for change.
- Nominate a changemaker as part of the WCD’s #100women campaign here.
- Send your thanks. Think of a creative way to appreciate the efforts, large and small, of Girl Rising champions in your community. And let us know what you’re doing here to celebrate every day changemakers in your community.
- Share the story with Girl Rising. We’re always on the lookout for amazing stories of girl rising champions. Share a story here.
Invest in Girls' Education
There are many organizations doing great work to help girls rise across India – and they need more resources. Donate today. Here are two featured opportunities to invest in girls’ education.
Magic Bus works towards developing the next generation of leaders by enhancing opportunities and providing critical resources for India’s youth. Their work equips some of India’s poorest children and young people with the skills and knowledge they need to grow up and be successful, to move out of poverty, and to take control of their future.
Educate Girls empowers communities to take a stand against gender inequality and leverages the government’s existing investment in schools thereby increasing girls' enrollment and retention and improving learning outcomes for all children.
Fuel the Movement
Everything we do is to ensure that girls’ education is part of the mainstream conversation.
Together, we make change happen by raising awareness about the issue, inspiring action and driving resources to our partners. Let’s keep this issue front and center.
Here are a few ways you can fuel the Girl Rising movement:
Elevate the #IAmGirlRising campaign on social media.
- Ask people to like us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Check back soon for sample posts, tweets and graphics that you can use to promote the campaign!
Share Girl Rising Stories
- Woh Padhegi. Woh Udegi: Girl Rising’s groundbreaking feature film “Woh Padhegi. Woh Udegi.” premiered in India on August 29 for Raksha Bandhan in a nationwide broadcast on Star Plus. The film is currently streaming on Hot Star.
- Host a screening: Taking collective action is one of the most powerful ways to shape change. Share “Woh Padhegi, Woh Udegi” with your neighbors, colleagues, classmates or students and educate your community about why girls’ education is important. Think together about how to take action.
Sign up if you’re interested in receiving more information about how to take action for girls.
Stand as a Girl Rising Ambassador
Girl Rising Ambassadors are leaders in the global movement for girls’ education. Ambassadors represent Girl Rising and gather people and organizations in their local community to take action. Join our growing ambassador community in India!
If you do not live in India, but are interested in applying to become a Girl Rising Ambassador, please visit our global campaign site.
You can learn more about girls’ education in India before taking action. Our learning center has a number of resources, from detailed reports to impactful statistics.